Thursday, May 28, 2009

Legal Issues

I have been doing some research online and found out that any image or creation made after 1989 is copyrighted, and you can get in a whole lot of legal trouble if you use it without permission. Hence, why I removed any picture that I didn't take myself from this blog. But I do have a question: How is it that almost everyone on Google Images has copied other people's pictures and posted them on their own blogs and never got sued? Literally, there are copies of the same picture all over the place in various blogs, but no one seems to care. Does the copyright law only apply if you're making money from the copyrighted image?

2 comments:

  1. I think it is okay for personal use, but not for anything that is distributed or that is going to gain income....not sure exactly, I just know at school I can use whatever pictures I want in a power point to teach my class, but if I give hand outs or do anything else with it besides use it to teach, I could get in big trouble....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about fair use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use_doctrine

    ReplyDelete